GRE score is not a sole criterion for getting you
into a graduate school.
Besides good score, there
are other factors like SOP,
letter of recommendations, GPA that play
an important part in deciding your admission into a graduate
school.A carefully drafted SOP may help you in getting into your dream school
even with an average GRE
SOP is a way for the admission committee members to
get to know about you since they did not get a chance to take an
interview. SOP is an essay that describes
you, your accomplishments, your academic background, career plans
and future goals.
A strong essay
clearly depicting sincerity of student to join applied graduate
school can help him, especially when his application is on the
Writing an impressive SOP……
include following information:
- Who you are?
- Your academic background.
- Your past accomplishments.
- What motivated and sparkled your interest in
your field, for e.g. if you are a computer engineer, there might be
something, say, playing pacman in childhood that developed your
interest in the field of computer science.
- Start your essay with a quote, question, or
engaging description that grabs the attention of the reader. Sample
SOP for M.S in computer Science field may
have an introduction like The dawn of the new age
- The Computer Era - glows before us with the promise of new and
improved ways of thinking, living and working. The only way to keep
up with these increased amounts of data and information is to
understand how computers work. Having seen many applications of
computer science, be it while making a bank withdrawal, buy
groceries at the supermarket my quest for knowledge has only
intensified. I have always believed in myself and worked for what I
wanted. I have already drawn a clear graph of my professional life.
Certainly, the purpose of my life is to discover a greater
understanding of the field of computer sciences. The interest and
fascination has evolved into a determination to study the subject
deeply and to do some valuable research in the field, prompting me
to seek a Master's degree in the same field.
- Details of the projects you have worked on,
related to the intended area of study.
- Cite examples where you donned the mantle of
the leader to show others a new path.
- What inspired you to pursue masters' in that
particular field and why you chose that particular university?
- Make sure that your research area matches
with the research area of the department you are applying to. Do
research on the university and your concerned department where you
are planning to study and accordingly state how you can be a good
- Be precise and honest. The admission
committee members who would be reviewing your application have a
lot of experience reading thousands of statements. So don't try to
fool them with fake information.
- Enlist your contribution to social work, if
any, and how that created an impact on the society.
- Cite evidences/experiences as supporting
details for the facts you want to demonstrate.
- Address your weaknesses in such a way that
they bring out the positive impact. for e.g. if you scored badly
once, how that turned out to be an inspirational and turning point
in your life.
- Mention about your publications, if any.
- A conclusion paragraph at the end that
demonstrates what you learned from your life experiences, field of
study and your future plans.
- Demonstrate clear and concise thoughts.
SOP proofread from two or three persons
and ask them to check it for grammatical and other
In short, SOP should
bring out the unique talent of yours.
1) It should be around 500-600 words.
2) Don't give weak excuses for low GPA,
3) Don't use flowery language.
4) The information should not be inconsistent.